Leaving high school can be hard on a friendship. Some friends will drift away because of distance and new interests. But best friends are priceless, and you need to do what you can to keep them.
Time Required: A lifetime or 20 minutes a month
- Talk with your friend about her/his plans for the summer and next year.
- Make sure you get all her/his contact information (address, phone number, email) before graduation.
- Do something special together (road trip, concert, camping trip, etc) before the end of the summer.
- Take lots of pictures.
- Don't let a month go by without contacting your friend. Take the initiative!
- Be honest with her/him about the new things you experience, even if you don't feel like s/he can relate.
- When you have the opportunity, do something special again. Make this a tradition.
- Repeat steps 3-7 for the rest of your life!
Staying best friends does not mean that your friendship will stay the same. As you get older and change over time, so will your friendship.
Make your friendship a priority. It may not be as convenient as it was in high school so it takes more effort.